A Guide to Dry Skin
If you suffer from dry skin, you definitely don’t need anyone telling you how uncomfortable it can be. However, did you know that there are different types of dry skin? Even if you usually have oily skin, dry patches can develop, making it slightly confusing when it comes to deciding on a skincare routine.
Dry skin can be caused by a number of issues. Two of the most common are dry air and too much water. Applying too much water to the skin takes natural skin oils away, which causes dryness. This explains why you aren’t automatically more moisturised after a long bath! Hard water contains a high amount of minerals which can cause irritations and could damage the surface of the skin. On the other hand, dry air, when the air lacks moisture, can also cause dry skin. Other causes of dry skin are too much alcohol and caffeine, as they cause dehydration. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and cut down on the coffees.
If you do suffer from dry skin, it is important to avoid harsh products. Stick to more natural ingredients which are kinder to the skin. Delarom products are created from the science of nature, making them gentle and moisturising. For example, the Delarom Aqualixir, an ultra-hydrating serum is an in-depth moisturiser designed to naturally boost the skin cells energy. The Aqualixir acts like thousands of internal water-soaked sponges that ensure optimal hydration of your skin. The exceptional composition of essential oils works to detoxify, drain and oxygenate skin cells.
Did you know that ageing causes dry skin? As we age, our skin absorbs less liquids, causing a loss of skin elasticity, leading to dry skin. Using anti-ageing skincare products can help to interrupt this process. The Delarom Anti-Ageing Restructuring Cream works to girm and lift the skin using the nourishing and protective properties of argan oil. Argan oil, olive extract and muscat rose oils work to protect and restructure the skins surface. Many Delarom products contain ingredients such as olive and pomegranate which are highly effective dry skin remedies.
When caring for your dry skin, don’t forget about the rest of your body! We focus so much time on our facial skincare that we often forget about the rest of our bodies. If you are prone to dry skin, it is likely this will affect the rest of your body too. Apply the same products you use on your face to your neck; however, it is worth investing in separate products for the rest of your body. The main difference between products for your face and body is consistency. Face creams, for example, are much lighter than body creams. This is because the face is much more sensitive and thinner. This is why we have other products for the undereye area which is even more sensitive and even more thin. Products are designed specifically for certain areas of the body, meaning they shouldn’t be swapped around. Face products also often contain SPF, whereas most body products don’t.
Quick Top Tips for Dry Skin
- Exfoliate skin twice a week before applying moisturising products to allow your skin to absorb them fully.
- Use SPF even if it isn’t a hot day. SPF can still harm our skin even if it isn’t a hot day outside.
- Minimise soap use! Soaps can strip away natural oils, making skin even more dry.
- Avoid wearing harsh fabrics which can irritate the skin and lead to inflammation.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and less caffeine.
- Use a moisturising face mask weekly to give your skin an extra boost.
- Use a room humidifier to avoid dry air.
- Check for natural ingredients such as argan oil and olive extract which are proven to benefit dry skin.
- Pat your face dry rather than rubbing it with a towel. Using a harsh towel can cause unnecessary irritation to already sensitive skin.
- Look for oil-based makeup products – these are likely to go on smoother and are less likely to irritate dry skin.
- If skin dries out so much that it is causing you regular pain, visit a skincare professional.